Ok so week 5 will be finished tonight and I consider week 5 a breaking point. In all the leagues I have been in over the years, 0-5 is the worst start I have seen overcome. I am sure there is an 0-6 example out there somewhere, but 0-5 in my experience, is the point of no return. Should you be 0-5, its really time to make some waves. Free agency this week is a must, and try and shake things up with a trade if you can. You might not have the pieces you had hoped at this point, but you may have to sell low on an underperformer to stay alive. There is no turning back. 1-4 peeps are right around that same philosophy. The season is not over, but situations are getting dire. It is always easy for the people on top to tell those struggling to suck it up, tough it out, or to stay in the game all the way through, but it’s hard. Nobody wants to be towards the bottom of the league and yet every league has to have them. One of the aspects that you can start to look for as you turn things around now are match ups. All magazines in the preseason talk about who has the best match ups during the season ahead, but we all know those get adjusted on the fly. Right around this time we really start getting a good idea of which defenses for the current season we want to start people against or sit people against. For example, if you have offensive players playing against the Saints…. START THEM. There is your tip of the day. Ok, here are a few others:
Note 1: Injuries
- Ryan Williams was just announced as being out for the year which means the Cardinals are down Beanie Wells for most of the season and Williams for the remainder. There is no movement from the Cardinals yet in terms of making a trade or a new signing which leads me to believe they will give last week’s COM recommendation, William Powell a crack at this. Good flier to take.
- Chris Johnson hurt is….. oh wait, nevermind. He just went back to being Chris Johnson. Sorry about that.
- Matt Cassell went out and got cheered by his home crowd. Brady Quinn stepped in and got cheered by all the Myoplex advertisers.
- Robert Griffin III went out with a concussion and everyone who has watched him so far this season was stunned. Michael Vick fans everywhere rejoice that it can happen to other running quarterbacks. The worst part about this hit for RG3 was that he was right at the sideline! My man, quick step out of bounds and you and your team stay alive.
- Cedric Benson is the rumor of reports saying he'll be out 8 weeks bringing an interesting situation to GB between Alex Green and James Starks.
UPDATE: Michael Vick just fumbled again….. ok, back to the article.
Note 2: Peyton Manning
- I advocated trading Peyton a couple weeks ago, his value has only gone up since then. His arm has looked better than it did as Peyton does look to be getting stronger but I still don’t understand how the Broncos keep conceding huge leads to their opponents requiring Manning to go bonkers in the 4th
quarter. Hey, stats are stats and Manning owners will take them however they come, but is really going to continue like this the whole year? Maybe so.
Note 3: Percy Harvin
- Is really good. Nothing really special in this note, just wanted to say it out loud, err on paper, or I mean on a website. You get the idea.
Note 4: Congrats Drew Brees
- I love that the pass to break number 19 Johnny Unitas’ record was to number 19, Devery Henderson. As a Drew Brees owner whether they continue winning or not there is one thing I am taking solace in, that defense will not win ANY games for them. Brees may hit 300 yards in every game the rest of the season.
Note 5: Quarterback Debate
- I’m sorry but I haven’t seen many things funnier than this. If you haven’t seen it, I’m jealous. If I could hire Will Smith to neutralize me and re read it, money well spent. Enjoy: http://imgur.com/a/9H0Hv
Note 5: Giant Running Game
- Ahmad Bradshaw just had a game I thought was impossible. I don’t know what just happened other than sometimes it amazes me how much better a player really gets when his job is threatened. Maybe you play through being hurt, not injured but hurt, a little more. Maybe you hit a hole a little harder which leads to a 15 yard run versus a 6 yard run. I think this is exactly what happened to Ahmad Bradshaw this Sunday and while I have been his biggest critic, you owners should be excited about this turn of events.
Note 6: What up Luck
- Hey ESPN First Take, I don’t have the forum you guys do but Andrew Luck 3rd behind Cam Newton and RG3 to start your franchise with? I disagreed with you 2 weeks ago, and I still do. What do you think America?
Note 7: Charles is in charge…. For now
- Jamaal Charles is an elite talent. I am on the bandwagon and it took me longer than many. BUT, he won’t last. The man is getting mid 30’s touches per game right now and Coach Romeo Crennel said he wished he’d given him the ball more! 30 touches a game over 16 games is 480 touches in a season. MJD led the league last year with 386. Jamaal Charles is coming of reconstructive knee surgery and is just shy of 200 pounds. Just sayin.
Christian Ponder ****